Monday, February 14, 2005

Straw Harry

I watched Straw Dogs on Saturday night – with Alan firmly asleep on my lap, bien sür – and had wanted company to do so, as I felt the ‘scene’ would be too much for me. As it turned out, keeping Alan awake without resorting to more vicious tactics than giving out, poking and holding his nose, was impossible, so I had to go it alone. WOW!! That movie is bloody brilliant! It has so many nuances and so many possible interpretations that my head reeled……it’s the first time in absolutely yonks that I have watched a movie and immediately felt afterwards that I could study it, and only it, for very long time and still be as amazed as I am now!! It was so nice to have my interest rekindled (after months of drought), and I felt refreshed and excited after watching it, rather than depressed and angry – as I had assumed I would feel!

So, rather than wake sleeping beauty for a quick film discussion on the pro's and con's of originally banning such a movie, I brought myself down off the high by switching to bloody Ghost on telly! Yeuch! Watched about five minutes and decided enough was enough, and wheeled the drooling-one down to bed.

Next morning we both (and yes, Alan stayed awake!) watched Dirty Harry!! How brilliant to watch a movie beset by clichés when they aren’t REALLY clichés, because he was the first to use ‘em!! Excellent stuff! Then, as an exercise in disappointment, we tried to rent Dirty Harry 2 from Xtra Vision, Rush. What a pain that entire video chain is!! Unless you want American Scary Movie Pie, then you are bound to end up crying!!

Anyway, tonight is looking good, coz we’re going to a movie in the Dublin Film Festival – Woody Allen’s ‘Melinda and Melinda’ starring Will Ferrall. How will the man cope with his irrepressible ad-lib act being…well….repressed under Woody Allen’s “there’s a comma in that line for a reason” tutelage!??! It remains to be seen!

Watch, as they say, this space…

3 comments:

al said...

i promise ill stay awake

al said...

i promise ill stay awake

Sarah Peace said...

I love you asleep and awake, except for the fact that you talk more when you're awake. That's more fun than being drooled on!!

But there is nothing cuter in the world than you snoring on my knee in front of a good movie!!