Thursday, April 12, 2007

Working 9-5, what a way to make a living!

The reason for my delayed posting? Disappointment city, and I'm the mayor.......

The trip is postponed until the first week of September. It's a good-news/bad-news situation....the bad news is that I now have to work through the summer. The good news is that I'll be here for the birth of my brother's new baby in September, and we bought our tickets for Electric Picnic - Beastie Boys and Bjork? Serious good news, eh?!

My other reason for disappointment is that I am DYING from working 7 days a week!! Five days in here - which is no bloody picnic (electric or otherwise) let me tell you, and then both days of the weekend in a pub in Baltinglass, Horans. The upside of that is that I get to watch all the weekend footie, and have met some lovely people.

Sylwio, who I work with, is a fabulous Polish girl of the kind to make you blush at complaining at your lot.........she is a fully qualified social worker and teacher, and is earning a living here in Ireland working in a grotty pub. Once her English is sorted, though, she'll be right as rain and hopefully earning what she SHOULD be earning with those qualifications! Sophie, another Polish girl who works there sweeping the floors, is a fully qualified midwife. Scary, isn't it? The EU will really have to sort out work permits etc. that allow skilled migrants to work at their profession in other countries!! Of course, I'm hoping that their English skills are all that stands in their way - hopefully, once they get a firm grip on that, they'll move on to bigger and better things, because they are WASTED in that pub.

As am I, to be honest.......I'm knackered tired, and it bloody kills me that I'm missing out on LIFE whilst working there!! I don't want to be dead by the time we travel, so I'll try get a different job that maybe only has me work 1 day a weekend, so that I can have some down time each week.

In the meantime, here's a photo of Sylwio, from her website (http://www.goldenlion-kennel.com) that showcases her gorgeous dogs, which she enters in dog shows....and they're champions, by the looks of them!



No comments: