Monday, November 01, 2004

Still shaking!

Holy crap…when I saw ‘Ringu’ for the first time, about three years ago, I was living in a house in Dundrum with two guys that I didn’t know well enough to wake with my screams. It was during the Channel Four season of ‘extreme’ movies, and it scared the CRAP out of me! I was alone in the sitting room, it was about three in the morning, and when she started climbing out of the television, I thought I would actually seize up and die…of course, it didn’t help that the TV I was watching was sitting in the same position on the floor as the telly in the movie – the very one that she was CRAWLING OUT OF!! God, I can still remember pulling away from the scene, trying to push myself into the chair, but unable to look away from her jerky form crawling closer and closer and…aaarrrggghhh – gives me the jitters just thinking about it!!

So, last night I went to see ‘The Grudge’ with my lover and two friends…and holy crap, it happened all over again! Since seeing ‘Ringu’ I have seen ‘The Eye’ (also Japanese), which did, of course, also scare the bejeeesus out of me. What is it about the human psyche that loves a good scare? Watching ‘The Grudge’ last night was certainly an experience – noisy young ‘uns soon shut up as they froze with fear to their seats, screams rang out among the audience (followed by the obligatory nervous laughter, and glance-exchange between strangers to assure themselves that everyone else is reacting the same way!), and my rock beside me shook and jumped with the best of them! Lacking originality (some scenes were practically lifted from ‘Ringu’), this movie nonetheless scared the pants off me and, were it not for a bedmate last night, I would most CERTAINLY have been sleeping with the light on!

I also saw ‘Finding Neverland’ which was, despite some sterling acting, merely alright. I cried like a baby, but that is no sign of a good movie, as I am extremely easily manipulated during films (I most certainly comply with the ‘willing suspension of disbelief’ needed to lose yourself in someone else’s story). I’ll pop in a review of them both later today, or during the week – not that anyone waits with baited breath, but since this blog was originally set up to keep track of my movie-going life, it would be a shame to waste such a movie-filled weekend!

Watch this space…

1 comment:

al said...

please do not refer to me as your lover i have a name you know im not a piece of meat. id like to point out that i didnt scream with the best of them either in fact i was very composed throughout.
- the rock